Duquesne University School of Law

More FAQs

What is FERPA? 

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, sets forth requirements regarding the privacy of student records. This law applies to postsecondary institutions as well as K-12 schools. 

For more information, please go to the DORI portal. 

FERPA governs: 

  • The disclosure of education records maintained by an educational institution; and 
  • Access to these records. 


How do I obtain an official copy of my transcript? 

You may obtain an official copy of your transcript through the University Registrar’s Office through DORI.  Specific instructions for requesting an official transcript can be at www.duq.edu/transcripts.  If you have problems, contact the University Registrar's Office 412-396-6212. Please allow 24 to 48 hours to process your request. 


Can I access my transcript online? 

If you are a current student, you may view a copy of your transcript via the DORI Portal. However, this feature is designed for viewing only; the printed version is not well-suited for official use. 


What is the turnaround time for transcripts and letters? 

All requests for transcripts and letters are normally processed within a 24 hour period. However, during the examination period it may take at least 48 hours to process. 


How do I obtain a letter verifying my enrollment status for health insurance purposes? 

You may obtain a letter indicating your enrollment status by submitting an Enrollment Verification Request Form to the Law School Registrar's Office or by using the DORI portal. 


When will I know my class rank? 

Students are ranked within their class at the end of each academic year. Part time Day students are not ranked until the last year of his or her legal education. First year students are not ranked until the end of his or her first year.  Transfer students and students who change divisions are not ranked until their final year of law school.  All other students are ranked after the fall and spring of each academic year. 


May I review my rank in the DORI portal or on my transcript? 

Yes, you now have the ability to view your rank in the DORI student portal while enrolled in the School of Law.  The School of Law does NOT print ranks on transcripts.


Can I be ranked at the end of the fall semester or receive an adjusted rank if I took summer classes? 

No. Class ranks are only given at the end of the academic year. Summer grades are included in the next academic year. 


Who do I contact if I would like to change my status from a full time student to a part time student or vice versa? 

Students must petition for a division change and send a typed letter c/o Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, Duquesne University School of Law, Academic Status Committee, 900 Locust Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15282. You will be notified in the summer if your petition for change was approved. 


How many credits do I need to graduate from Duquesne University School of Law? 

You must have 87 total credits to graduate.


How many residence credits are required to graduate? 

To be certified for the Juris Doctor degree and to sit for the Bar Exam, students in the full time day division must complete six semesters with a minimum of 10 credits each semester. Part time and evening students must complete eight semesters with a minimum of 8 credits each semester. 


How many residence credits are required in the law school if I am completing a dual degree? 

Students must be certified for the Juris Doctor degree.  Therefore, you must carry the minimum credits within the law school in addition to your dual degree credits.


What is the maximum number of credits I can take each semester? 

Full time day students may take up to 18 credits per semester. Part time day and evening students may take up to 13 credits per semester.


Can I visit or enroll in courses at another School of Law and what are the procedures? 

Yes, you may participate in the Pittsburgh Council of Higher Education (PCHE) program with the University Of Pittsburgh School Of Law and transfer the credits to Duquesne University. Any request to enroll in courses at another School of Law must be approved by the Academic Status Committee which is chaired by the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs. All requests must be typed. Any request to take summer courses at another School of Law must be approved by the Academic Status Committee which is chaired by the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs. 


Can I obtain a copy of my LSAT record? 

No, we will not provide you with a copy of the LSAT record. But, after completing the General Request Form at www.duq.edu/law/registrar, we will give you a copy of your LSAT score. On the other hand, we will mail a copy for you to a potential employer, school, etc. 


Am I required to use my Duquesne University email address?

Yes, Duquesne University personal email account is the official method of communication. Notice will be considered received one day following the date the notice is posted to your email account. Failure to check your email account does not excuse or exempt you from any actions required of you by the University. 


How can I track my academic progress? 

RAPP (Review Academic Program Progress) is a tool for students to review your progress through academic programs and identify the classes you need to take to complete your degree. To use RAPP, go to Self-Service Banner, Student Information, Registration, and Review Academic Program Progress. 

You may also complete a TRACK YOUR CREDITS form on the Registrar's webpage.


How do I change my permanent address at Duquesne University? 

All law students must complete the Change of Address Form and bring it to the Law School Registrar’s Office, not the University Registrar’s Office. 


How do I change my current address at Duquesne University? 

All law students have the ability to change their current address in our DORI portal. 


Who do I call if I am unable to attend classes due to illness or medical reasons? 

You must call or email the Assistant Dean of Students as soon as possible. 


What if I become very ill during my final examinations? 

You MUST notify the Law School Registrar’s Office as soon as possible. And, you must supply the office with a doctor’s excuse or reasoning as to why you missed a mandatory exam. Do NOT notify your professor! 


If I have questions about my exam grade, how do I review my exam before meeting with the professor? 

You must complete the Exam Review Request Form online or in the Main Office so the exam can be pulled from storage. (24 to 48 hours is required) 


Are we permitted to take make-up exams?

Make-up exams are only permitted for compelling reasons.  Any student who wishes to take a make-up exam MUST petition the Academic Status Committee.   See the Academic Bulletin for more information.


Can I drop a course after I have been registered for it? 

All students, excluding first year students, are permitted to change their schedule during the posted add/drop period. After the add/drop period, students must petition the Academic Status Committee for a withdrawal from the course. If the request is approved, the course will be considered a withdrawal, and a “W” grade will be posted on the student’s transcript for that course. 


If I have questions about my exam grade, how do I review my exam before meeting with the professor?

You must complete the Exam Review Request Form online or in the Main Office so the exam can by pulled from storage.  The exam will be in the Main Office for you to review.  You are not permitted to take notes.  If you decide to meet with your professor, we will deliver the exam to his/her office before your meeting.  There is a 24 to 48 hour notice required for the office to pull all stored exams.


How can I find my final exam dates? 

Final exam dates for the current academic year can be found on the Exams page of the Law School Registrar's website. 


Where do I go to resolve exam conflicts? 

If you have an exam conflict and would like to request a time variance, you must complete an Exam Time Conflict form and bring it to the Law School Registrar’s Office. 


What do I need to do to complete my Upper Level Writing Requirement? 

Each student must complete an Upper Level Writing Requirement intent form and bring it to the Law School Registrar’s Office no later than 30 after the beginning of the course. Once the paper is completed, the student must give the professor two copies of the paper along with an Upper Level Writing Requirement completion form. The professor will complete the form and turn everything into the Law School Registrar’s Office. The forms and a listing of courses that have been approved for this requirement can be found on the Registrar website. 


How do I complete my Professional Skills requirement? 

All students must complete one Professional Skills Requirement for graduation. The student must complete an intent form and return it to the Law School Registrar’s Office no later than 30 days after the start of the course. There isn’t a completion form for this requirement so as long as you pass the course  listed on your intent form, you have fulfilled the requirement. The intent form and a listing of courses that have been approved to satisfy this requirement can be found on the Registrar website. 


Which courses are considered non-classroom credits, and how many can I take? 

There is technically no limit to the amount of non-classroom credits that a student can register for, but only a maximum of 18 credits can be used toward the total number of credits for graduation. The list of non-classroom credits can be found on the Registrar website. 


How do I apply for graduation? 

All students expecting to graduate must complete a Graduation Application.